Monday, September 04, 2006

Anniversary Bookclub Meeting

Hi girls,

Well it's official - our bookclub is one year old. The anniversary meeting took place on Monday 28th August and was kindly hosted by Lisa.

The books for this month were The Mermaids Chair, Theft and Marley & Me so lots of choice for everyone. I found the Mermaids Chair to be a bit disappointing after reading and loving Sue Monk Kidds first book, The Secret Life of Bees. This book was very different. I guess I found the story a little morbid. It reminded me a little of While I Was Gone by Sue Miller with similar stories of marriage difficulties during the empty nest phase. Unusual in the way both novels focused on the woman's dissatisfaction with their lives. I did like the fact that at the back of the book was useful notes about the book, Reading group questions and an interview with the Author.

Debs read Marley & Me and really enjoyed it. It is one for the animal lovers among you.

For those of you who couldn't attend on Monday, please feel free to add your thoughts on the books.

1 comment:

trishp said...

From Shinners:

'Marley & me' is actually based on the author's true story of his first pet as a married man - massive lab called Marley. Really it's the story of a family, their ups & downs, the good times & bad and how they cope, with the extra bit of their family pet always the one there through all these times. I enjoyed it having had dogs n cats as a kid and loving them all as I always wanted a little sister to boss around like I got bossed (am suffering from Youngest Child Syndrome)... To be honest I didn't think I'd cry but I did shed a tear on few occasions in the book as it's a story that everyone can relate too. So highly recommended!