Monday, September 04, 2006

The Year in Review

Looking back over the last year, here is what we have read so far:

1. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

2. The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

3. Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi

4. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell by Susanna Clarke

5. While I was Gone by Sue Miller

6. The Undomesticated Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

7. One of the Ross O'Carroll-Kelly's Series - The Mis-education Years; The Teenage Dirtbag Years; The Orange Mocha-Chip Frappucino Years; PS, I Scored the Bridesmaids; The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightdress

8. A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve

9. The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice

10. Labyrinth by Kate Mosse OR Divided Kingdom by Rupert Thompson

11. A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby

12. The Mermaids Chair by Sue Monk Kidd OR Marley & Me by John Grogan OR Theft by Peter Carey

I think I've covered them all. Please vote for your favorite book and here's to many more years of reading!!

3 comments:

trishp said...

Gosh it just makes you realise how much we have read and the variety of books. I think that's what bookclub is all about.

I think we started off well with my two favs The Red Tent and The Time Travellers Wife. I also enjoyed the comedy and fluffiness of The Undomesticated Goddess. Labyrinth was a good read as was The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets.

I found Reading Lolita in Tehran and Jonathan Strange very hard-going.

If I had to vote for my favorite it would be The Time Travellers Wife - a novel idea filled with love and sadness.

Shinners said...

Hi,

Just quick note to add to Trishs' vote for favourite book so far. My favourite still is The Red Tent, as it was a unique story told from woman's point of view about families, growing up and the heartaches it involves. Just one of those chance findings while rambling in a bookstore that lead to the setting up of the Bookclub hence I have soft spot for this book.
Also enjoyed Time Traveller's Wife and Marley and Me. I have to admit that I gave up on Jonathan Strange 1/4 way through it was just too hard going for me.
Am looking forward to reading The Mermaids Chair as I loved Sue Monk Kids book The Secret Life of Bees.........

ciara said...

Hi, as I am now an official blogger after many tries I thought I would cast my vote for fave read. Although I havent really kept up to date with whats been going on cos i couldnt get logged on to this thing for some crazy reason, it turns out that I've actually read most of the books this year that the bookclub has read anyway - so i feel qualified to make an informed choice :)

my undisputed favourite has got to be the timetravellers wife by audrey niffenegger. i actually just finished reading it for the second time and enjoyed it just as much - if not more so. by the end of the book, the two main characters feel like old friends - i almost miss their company now its finished.
The red tent would have to be a very close second though, i loved the way it was writen and made me feel like a woman (if that makes sense...)
Now that i'm a blogger, i'm definitely going to keep up to date with the books and will have u all driven demented with my thoughts on them :)